Table of ContentsDefinition / General | Case Reports | Clinical Images | Gross Description | Micro Description | Micro Images | Positive Stains | Differential Diagnosis
Cite this page: Lymphangiosarcoma. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/softtissuelymphangiosarcoma.html. Accessed February 19th, 2017.
Definition / General
- Typically ~10 years post axillary nodal dissection or radiation therapy for breast cancer with long standing massive lymphedema
- Also after chronic lymphedema of lower leg
- 5 year survival < 10%
- Blue / purple papules in edematous skin, often multiple
- Angiosarcoma-like areas and endothelium lined spaces without red blood cells
- Early: resembles benign collection of vessels, called "atypical vascular proliferation"
- Later: freely anastomosing vascular channels lined by atypical endothelial cells, often with solid areas resembling breast carcinoma
- Increased cellularity and pleomorphism with increased mitotic activity