Cite this page: Mansouri J. Hantavirus. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/spleenhantavirus.html. Accessed December 7th, 2019.
Definition / general
- Rare but deadly disease transmitted to humans through aerosolized virus from rodent urine, droppings or saliva
- Usually causes pulmonary syndrome with acute respiratory distress syndrome
- Dense, rubbery and heavy lungs floating within yellow serous fluid within pleural cavity
- No specific splenic findings
Microscopic (histologic) description
- Spleen: generalized capillary dilation and edema, immunoblasts in red pulp and periarteriolar sheaths of spleen, occasional prominent and swollen endothelial cells