Other non-neoplastic disorders
Reviewer: Jaleh Mansouri, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 12 April 2013, last major update October 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2013, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
- Includes ceroid (sea-blue) histiocytosis, chronic myelogenous leukemia, follicular (mineral oil) lipidosis (due to lipid in packaging of food,
Hum Pathol 1984;15:724), Gaucher's disease and other inherited diseases, hyperlipoproteinemia, immune thrombocytopenic purpura, light chain deposition disease
- Ceroid: benign histiocytes with abundant, foamy, vacuolated cytoplasm due to ingestion of sphingomyelin and other phospholipids
- Sea-blue histiocyte syndrome (OMIM 269600):
autosomal recessive, may be related to adult Niemann-Pick disease (Hum Pathol 1982;13:1115)
- Histiocytes diffusely within splenic cords; may separate the white pulp but donít diminish its size
- Fat stains, acid-fast stains, PAS diastase
End of Spleen > Other non-neoplastic disorders > Lipid histiocytoses
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com
with any questions (click here for other