Other non-neoplastic disorders
Reviewer: Jaleh Mansouri, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 12 April 2013, last major update October 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2013, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
- Also called peliosis lienis
- Multiple blood filled cystic spaces
- Usually associated with peliosis hepatis, but may be independent
- Multiple pathogenetic mechanisms possible - may be caused by infection with Bartonella henselae in HIV patients with bacillary angiomatosis
- May cause splenic rupture and death, particularly in patients with carcinomatosis, chronic leukemia, post-liver transplantation, recipients of anabolic-androgenic steroids, tuberculosis
- Blood filled sinuses with reduced lining cells, similar to hairy cell leukemia
End of Spleen > Other non-neoplastic disorders > Peliosis
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com
with any questions (click here for other