3 beta hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase
Reviewer: Nat Pernick, M.D., PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 6 April 2011, last major update April 2011
Copyright: (c) 2002-2011, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Critical enzyme in biosynthesis of all steroid hormones: catalyzes conversions of progesterone from pregnenolone, 17-hydroxyprogesterone from 17-hydroxypregnenolone, and androstenedione from dehydroepiandrosterone (Wikipedia)
● Not a commonly used immunostain
Steroid synthesis chart
● Identify adenocortical tissue origin (Arch Pathol Lab Med 2002;126:1118)
● Note: fetal adrenal gland lacks 3 beta hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase
3 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase immunohistology in adrenal gland
Positive staining - normal
● Adrenocortical tissue; testicular Leydig cells
● Normal seminiferous tubules, fetal adrenal gland
End of Stains > 3 beta hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).