Cite this page: AF4. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/stainsAF4.html. Accessed July 27th, 2017.
Definition / general
- Member of protein family implicated in childhood lymphoblastic leukemia, FRAXE (Fragile X E site) mental retardation and ataxia, also called AF4/FMR2 family, member 1 (GeneCards)
- Transcriptional activator at 4q21 involved in transcriptional elongation
- Has central role in RNA Pol II mediated transcription and phosphorylation-dependent regulatory mechanisms (Biochem J 2011;438:649)
- MLL-AF4 translocation of t(4;11)(q21;q23 ) is common in infantile acute lymphoblastic leukemia (Genes Chromosomes Cancer 2013;52:954); rarely acute megakaryoblastic leukemia (Eur J Haematol 2009;83:149)
- AF4 complex provides several activities that could activate RNA polymerase II; in contrast, AF4-MLL protein disturbs the fine-tuned activation cycle of promoter-arrested RNA Pol II, and causes altered histone methylation signatures (Leukemia 2011;25:135)