Reviewer: Nat Pernick, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 18 October 2013, last major update June 2005
Copyright: (c) 2003-2013, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
PubMed Search: BMP[title]
- Bone Morphogenetic Proteins
- Members of transforming growth factor-beta (TGF-beta) superfamily (20 types cloned through October 2005)
- Used for intercellular signals including cell growth and differentiation
- Ubiquitous in embryonic development; also involved in apoptosis
- Blocking their activity in chickens leads to duck feet
- Deletion causes lack of mesoderm development, lack of sperm development, eye/kidney deformities, misshapen feet
- Overexpression associated with fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva, various bone and soft tissue sarcomas
- Colonic adenocarcinoma: BMP5 and BMP6 prominent in cytoplasm of tumor cells, BMP2 and BMP4 strongly expressed in surrounding mesenchymal cells
End of Stains > BMP
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com
with any questions (click here for other