Reviewer: Nat Pernick, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 14 January 2012, last major update January 2012
Copyright: (c) 2002-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Transcription factor essential for notochordal cell differentiation, elongation of axis and specification of posterior mesodermal elements (Mod Pathol 2009;22:996)
● Brachyury (T) is founding member of T box (Tbx) family
● Transcriptional activator expressed throughout the nascent mesoderm, tailbud and notochord
● Involved in the induction and regional specification of mesoderm
● Brachyury deficient embryos lack tail and trunk structures and die shortly after gastrulation (PLoS One 2011;6:e28394)
● In tumor cells, induces epithelial-mesenchymal transition, an important step in progression toward metastasis (J Clin Invest 2010;120:533)
● Nuclear staining
Uses by pathologists
● Distinguish chordoma from histologic mimics, including clear cell renal cell carcinoma, chondrosarcoma, chordoid meningioma (Am J Surg Pathol 2009;33:669, Mod Pathol 2011;24:425)
Chordoma and variants
Positive staining - normal
Positive staining - disease
● Benign notochordal cell tumor of extraosseous origin (Am J Surg Pathol 2011;35:1158), chordoma (90%+ sensitive, Am J Surg Pathol 2009;33:669, Arch Pathol Lab Med 2010;134:1181), hemangioblastoma (Am J Surg Pathol 2008;32:572)
● Carcinomas, lymphomas, sarcomas
● Invasive urothelial carcinoma with chordoid features (Am J Surg Pathol 2009;33:1213)
End of Stains > Brachyury
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).