Table of ContentsDefinition / General
Cite this page: Cadherins. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/stainscadherins.html. Accessed January 19th, 2017.
Definition / General
- See also E-cadherin, N-cadherin
- Molecules that establish links between adjacent cells by forming zipper like structures at adherens junctions
- Linked to cytoskeleton via catenins (cadherin to beta catenin, beta catenin to alpha catenin, alpha catenin to actin) to stabilize adherens junction
- Homophilic interactions (like-like) causes clustering of embryonic cells with others from same tissue
- Loss of cadherins may be first step in giving cells invasive properties