Table of ContentsDefinition / general
Cite this page: Pernick N. Cadherins. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/stainscadherins.html. Accessed May 28th, 2020.
Definition / general
- See also E-cadherin, N-cadherin
- Molecules that establish links between adjacent cells by forming zipper like structures at adherens junctions
- Linked to cytoskeleton via catenins (cadherin to beta catenin, beta catenin to alpha catenin, alpha catenin to actin) to stabilize adherens junction
- Homophilic interactions (like-like) causes clustering of embryonic cells with others from same tissue
- Loss of cadherins may be first step in giving cells invasive properties