Carbonic anhydrase IX
Reviewer: Nat Pernick, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 27 February 2012, last major update February 2012
Copyright: (c) 2002-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Also called CAIX
● Hypoxia induced protein expressed in some renal tumors
● Transmembrane enzyme that regulates cell proliferation, adhesion, invasion
● May predict doxorubicin resistance in early-stage breast cancer (Br J Cancer 2012 Feb 14 [Epub ahead of print])
● Deficiency of carbonic anhydrase II, required by osteoclasts and renal tubular cells to excrete hydrogen ion, can cause osteopetrosis
Uses by pathologists
● Marker of clear cell renal cell carcinoma
● Differentiate metastatic clear cell renal cell carcinoma (positive) from thyroid tumors (Am J Surg Pathol 2011;35:757)
Clear cell renal cell carcinoma: low grade (left) versus high grade (right)
Papillary renal cell carcinoma shows focal expression
Positive staining - disease
● Clear cell renal cell carcinoma (diffuse, membranous expression, Am J Surg Pathol 2011;35:949, Am J Surg Pathol 2008;32:377, low grade > high grade, Am J Clin Pathol 2010;134:873), clear cell papillary renal cell carcinoma
● Renal urothelial carcinoma (90%), papillary renal cell carcinoma (57%), renal tumors with Xp11.2 translocation (40%) (Am J Surg Pathol 2009;33:241)
● Most carcinomas of breast, cervix, endometrium, lung, liver, stomach; also brain tumors, neuroendocrine tumors, mesotheliomas (Am J Pathol 2001;158:905)
● Variable adrenal cortical and germ cell tumors (Histopathology 2011;59:1229)
● Kidney (normal); chromophobe renal cell carcinoma on renal oncocytoma
End of Stains > Carbonic anhydrase IX
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).