Reviewer: Nat Pernick, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 11 December 2012, last major update December 2012
Copyright: (c) 2002-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Also known as FMS-like tyrosine kinase 3, CD135
● Class III receptor tyrosine kinase that regulates hematopoiesis (US National Library of Medicine)
● Constitutive activation occurs by internal tandem duplication (ITD) (Arch Pathol Lab Med 2012;136:84); detection fast and inexpensive
● Most frequent molecular abnormality in AML
● Mutated in 10% with chronic myeloproliferative diseases (CMPD) or CMPD/myelodysplastic syndrome, but not CML (Am J Clin Pathol 2006;126:530)
● Mutated in 2% with myelodysplastic syndrome (Am J Clin Pathol 2011;135:62)
● Immunophenotypic profile of TdT+ CD7+ CD13+ CD34+ CD117 (bright) predicts FLT3 mutations (100% sensitive, 94% specific, Am J Clin Pathol 2012;137:213)
● Activated FLT3 inhibited by Sunitinib malate
Uses by pathologists
● Subtype of AML (see AML with FLT3 mutations); associated with poor clinical outcome; FLT3 mutations in AML may be unstable (Mod Pathol 2012;25:1405)
Structure and function
Acute myelomonocytic leukemia: initially FLT3 mutation negative (figure A), but FLT3+ mutation at relapse (figure B)
End of Stains > FLT3
Ref Updated: 11/27/12
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).