HHV8 / KSHV
Reviewer: Nat Pernick, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 21 June 2013, last major update May 2013
Copyright: (c) 2002-2013, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
- Human Herpes Virus 8; also known as Kaposiís Sarcoma-associated Herpes Virus
- Gamma herpesvirus identified as an etiologic agent for Kaposiís sarcoma in 1994
- Latently infects endothelial cells, monocytes and B cells in Kaposiís sarcoma patients
- Associated with 3 HIV associated lymphoproliferative disorders - primary effusion lymphoma, multicentric Castlemanís disease and multicentric Castlemanís disease-associated plasmablastic lymphoma
- Sensitive but not specific for Kaposiís sarcoma, due to presence in other tumors (including hemangiomas) in immunocompromised (may be present within intratumoral blood mononuclear cells, Mod Pathol 2005;18:463)
- References: Am J Surg Pathol 2002;26:1363
End of Stains > HHV8 / KSHV
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com
with any questions (click here for other