Cite this page: HHV8 / KSHV. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/stainshhv8.html. Accessed April 28th, 2017.
Definition / general
- Human Herpes Virus 8; also known as Kaposi’s Sarcoma-associated Herpes Virus
- Gamma herpesvirus identified as an etiologic agent for Kaposi’s sarcoma in 1994
- Latently infects endothelial cells, monocytes and B cells in Kaposi’s sarcoma patients
- Associated with 3 HIV associated lymphoproliferative disorders - primary effusion lymphoma, multicentric Castleman’s disease and multicentric Castleman’s disease-associated plasmablastic lymphoma
- Sensitive but not specific for Kaposi’s sarcoma, due to presence in other tumors (including hemangiomas) in immunocompromised (may be present within intratumoral blood mononuclear cells, Mod Pathol 2005;18:463)
- References: Am J Surg Pathol 2002;26:1363