Immunohistochemistry - Common Panels
Reviewer: Nat Pernick, M.D., PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 20 April 2011, last major update April 2011
Copyright: (c) 2002-2011, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Epithelial markers: low molecular weight keratin (CAM 5.2), AE1-AE3 cytokeratin cocktail, CK7, CK20, CEA, EMA
● Alternative epithelial markers on sarcomatoid carcinoma include p63, MOC-31 and TTF1 (Mod Pathol 2005;18:1471)
● Melanocytic markers: S100 (also a mesenchymal marker), HMB45, MelanA/Mart1
● Lymphoid markers: CD3 (T cells), CD20 (B cells), CD15 (Hodgkin), CD30 (Hodgkin & other), various others
● Histiocytic markers: CD68, lysozyme, CD1a (Langerhans cells)
● Neuroendocrine markers: neuron specific enolase, chromogranin, synaptophysin, CD56, CD57
● Mesenchymal markers: vimentin (non-specific), Factor XIIIa (fibrous histiocytoma), Factor VIII (vessels), CD31 (vessels), CD34 (vessels), D2-40 (lymphatics), HHF35 (actin), smooth muscle actin, desmin
● Cell proliferation/apoptosis markers: Ki-67, bcl2
(Metastatic) tumor of unknown origin
● Choice of marker depends on what tumors are logically within the differential diagnosis
● Click here for table of common markers
● Gene expression assays may be useful (J Clin Oncol 2008;26:4435 - adenocarcinoma, Diagn Pathol 2010 Jan 13;5:3 - carcinoma of unknown primary)
● MicroRNA based PCR methods (Mod Pathol 2010;23:814, Oncologist 2011;16:165 - brain tumors)
End of Stains > Immunohistochemistry - Common Panels
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).