Reviewer: Nat Pernick, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 17 December 2011, last major update December 2011
Copyright: (c) 2002-2011, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● First characterized in 2003 (Dev Biol 2003;258:432)
● RNA-binding protein that maintains pluripotency of embryonic stem cells.
● May regulate glucose metabolism (Cell 2011;147:81)
● Cytoplasmic staining
Uses by pathologists
● Diagnostic marker comparable to SALL4 for germ cell tumors (testicular, ovarian and extragonadal): intratubular germ cell neoplasia, seminoma, dysgerminoma, embryonal carcinoma, yolk sac tumor (Hum Pathol 2011;42:710, Histopathology 2011;59:452, Mod Pathol 2011;24:288)
Positive staining - disease
● Germ cell tumors: intratubular germ cell neoplasia, embryonal carcinoma, seminoma, dysgeminoma, yolk sac tumor, gonadoblastoma
● Variable staining in teratoma, choriocarcinoma, spermatocytic seminoma
End of Stains > LIN28
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).