Oil Red O
Reviewer: Nat Pernick, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 10 September 2013, last major update June 2005
Copyright: (c) 2003-2013, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
PubMed Search: Oil Red O[title]
- Stain identifies neutral lipids and fatty acids
- Fresh smears / cryostat sections of tissue are necessary because alcohols used in tissue processing remove lipids
- Rapid and simple routine stain
- Differentiate fibroma from thecoma (not that important a distinction)
- Diagnose renal cell carcinoma, sebaceous gland tumors of skin, lipid-rich carcinomas
- Identify fat emboli in lung tissue or clot sections of peripheral blood
Fat emboli in lung
End of Stains > Oil Red O
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com
with any questions (click here for other