Cite this page: Oil Red O. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/stainsoilredo.html. Accessed January 23rd, 2017.
Definition / General
- Stain identifies neutral lipids and fatty acids
- Fresh smears / cryostat sections of tissue are necessary because alcohols used in tissue processing remove lipids
- Rapid and simple routine stain
- Differentiate fibroma from thecoma (not that important a distinction)
- Diagnose renal cell carcinoma, sebaceous gland tumors of skin, lipid-rich carcinomas
- Identify fat emboli in lung tissue or clot sections of peripheral blood