Reviewer: Nat Pernick, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 22 May 2012, last major update May 2012
Copyright: (c) 2002-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● PCA3 prostate cancer antigen 3
● Prostate-specific, non-protein-coding RNA, measured in urine (Int Braz J Urol 2010;36:665); useful as a true prostate cancer specific biomarker (J Urol 2012;187:795)
● Not affected by chronic prostatis (Prostate 2012;72:549)
Uses by pathologists
● May be useful to predict risk of prostate cancer for patients with (Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis 2012;15:100) or without prior biopsy (World J Urol 2012;30:251)
● Age adjustment of PCA3 score may be useful (World J Urol 2011 Aug 30 [Epub ahead of print])
● Clinical algorithm specifying biopsy if PSA 10+ ng/ml; biopsy if PSA <10 ng/ml only if detectable PCA3 or TMPRSS2:ERG in post-DRE urine (Urol Oncol 2011 May 19 [Epub ahead of print])
In situ hybridization
Positive staining - disease
● RNA is expressed by most prostate cancers and HGPIN (Mod Pathol 2007;20:1121)
● Normal prostate glands, excelt those near neoplastic glands may be positive
End of Stains > PCA3
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).