Reviewer: Nat Pernick, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 30 January 2013, last major update January 2013
Copyright: (c) 2002-2013, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
PubMed Search: PPAR-gamma [title]
Broken links/comments: click here or email CopyrightPathOut@gmail.com, subject=StainsPPAR-gamma
● Peroxisome Proliferator Activated Receptor gamma
● (1) PAX8 / PPARγ fusion protein is produced by t(2;3)(q13;p25), occurs frequently in follicular thyroid carcinoma; diffuse strong nuclear staining correlates with PAX8-PPARγ detected by RT-PCR in follicular carcinoma or adenoma (Am J Surg Pathol 2002;26:1016)
● (2) PPARγ agonist pioglitazone protects cortical neurons from inflammatory mediators via improvement in peroxisomal function, and may protect against neurodegenerative changes associated with neuroinflammation (J Neuroinflammation 2012;9:63, Mol Neurobiol 2012;46:114)
● (3) Decreases inflammatory response of many cardiovascular cells, particularly endothelial cells; also blocks fibrogenic TGF-beta responses in vitro and in vivo (Arthritis Res Ther 2012;14:R102)
● (4) Controls adipocyte differentiation and regulates many genes associated with energy homeostasis; its gene polymorphisms influence obesity and obesity phenotype in a complex manner, probably involving insulin resistance in north Indian population (Am J Hum Biol 2012;24:454)
Uses by pathologists
● No significant uses at this time
Positive staining - normal
● High expression in fat, low expression in liver, very low expression in muscle
End of Stains > PPAR gamma
Ref Updated: 1/30/13
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).