Cite this page: Colchicine toxicity. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/stomachcolchicine.html. Accessed February 27th, 2017.
Definition / General
- Colchicine is treatment for gout; toxicity can cause chronic renal failure and death
- Binds tubulin interfering with polymerization into microtubules
- Features below are associated with toxicity only, not therapeutic colchicine without toxicity
- Many mitotic figures, mitoses arrested in metaphase (ring formation), epithelial pseudostratification, loss of polarity, abundant crypt apoptotic bodies anywhere in GI tract, but especially in gastric antrum and duodenum with relative sparing of gastric body (Am J Surg Pathol 2001;25:1067)
- Dysplasia: no history of colchicine