Cite this page: Cowden's syndrome. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/stomachcowdens.html. Accessed March 28th, 2017.
Definition / General
- Also known as multiple hamartoma syndrome
- Due to rare autosomal dominant germline mutation in PTEN on 10q23
- Tricholemmomas on face, acral keratoses, oral papillomas, GI polyps that may occur in stomach, small intestine or colon (35 - 40%), increased incidence of breast and thyroid carcinomas, also endometrial and renal cell carcinomas
- Small (1 - 2 mm), sessile polyps
- Excess lamina propria splayed and dissected into lobules by disorganized fascicles of muscularis mucosa running upward from base of mucosa