Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma
Reviewers: Elliot Weisenberg, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 13 September 2012, last major update September 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● High grade B cell tumor (Am J Surg Pathol 2003;27:790)
● May arise from transformed extranodal marginal zone (MALT) lymphoma
● Usually > age 50 years
● 5 year survival is 65% (related to stage)
● Coexistence of MALT lymphoma and diffuse large B-cell lymphoma: do not reported as “high grade MALT” (MALT is usually indolent); report instead as diffuse large B-cell lymphoma with coexisting MALT lymphoma
Favorable prognostic factors
● Cases associated with extranodal marginal zone (MALT) lymphoma have 84% 5 year cause specific survival (Am J Surg Pathol 2001;25:95), better than without coexisting MALT
● Germinal center origin (CD10+, bcl6+, Am J Surg Pathol 2000;24:1641)
● 61 year old man with coexisting early gastric carcinoma (Arch Pathol Lab Med 1989;113:419)
● Large polypoid or lobulated mass with superficial or deep ulceration; often in distal stomach, but sparing pylorus
● Infiltrative pattern of high grade, centroblast like cells; multinucleated forms may resemble Reed-Sternberg cells
● bcl6 (variable), CD10 (variable), CD35 (variable), keratin (rare,
Am J Surg Pathol 1996;20:346)
● Undifferentiated carcinoma: continuity between tumor cells and epithelium, acinar pattern, muscularis mucosa destruction, positive for keratin and mucin
End of Stomach > Lymphoma > Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at [email protected] with any questions (click here for other contact information).