Reviewers: Elliot Weisenberg, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 8 August 2012, last major update August 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Also called retention polyp
● Part of generalized juvenile polyposis coli or rare gastric subtype, 20-50% of patients with syndrome have gastric polyps
● Syndrome due to genetic dysregulation of TGF-β pathway
● Associated with increased risk of colorectal and gastric carcinoma
● Smooth surfaced, 1-2 cm, short narrow stalk
● Irregular cysts in lamina propria with normal gastric epithelium
● Surface and foveolar hyperplasia, may have stromal hemorrhage, surface ulceration and chronic inflammation due to torsion
Gastric juvenile polyp
● Hyperplastic polyp: usually background mucosal disease, may need clinical or family history for definitive diagnosis
End of Stomach > Polyps > Juvenile polyp
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).