Heterotopic pancreas / pancreatic acinar metaplasia
Reviewers: Elliot Weisenberg, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 28 July 2012, last major update July 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2012, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Nodules of normal pancreatic tissue up to 1 cm in gastric or intestinal wall
● Prevalence 1-2% (Am J Surg Pathol 1993;17:1134)
● Incidental or presents as mass
● In 4% of pediatric gastric biopsies (Am J Surg Pathol 1998;22:100)
● Usually antrum or pylorus
● When in pylorus, localized inflammation may cause obstruction
● Strongly associated with chronic gastritis and intestinal metaplasia, but not H. pylori infection
● At GE junction in children/young adults, but may also be congenital (Arch Pathol Lab Med 2000;124:1165, Am J Surg Pathol 1996;20:1507)
● 54 year old man with mucus retention in heterotopic pancreas of the gastric antrum simulating mucinous carcinoma (Am J Surg Pathol 1994;18:953)
● 60 year old patient With pancreatic adenocarcinoma at GE junction (Arch Pathol Lab Med 1994;118:568)
● Nipple-like projection (with duct emptying into gastric lumen), symmetric cone or round mass
● Cut surface resembles normal pancreas, but may be cystic
● Pancreatic acini and ducts usually present (total heterotopia), ducts often dilated, islets present in 30%
● Rarely endocrine only (case report at Arch Pathol Lab Med 2002;126:464)
● May have mucocele-like changes
● Usually in submucosa or muscularis propria
● Lipase, trypsinogen, amylase
End of Stomach > Non-neoplastic anomalies > Heterotopic pancreas / pancreatic acinar metaplasia
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).