Cite this page: Syphilitic gastritis. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/stomachsyphilitic.html. Accessed January 21st, 2017.
Definition / General
- Rare, stomach involved in < 1% of cases
- Gastric involvement may occur in secondary and tertiary syphylis
- Erosions or ulcers in pyloric region, progressing to shrunken fibrotic stomach resembling linitis plastica
- Ulcers, abundant plasma cells, fibrosis
- Variable endarteritis obliterans, poorly formed granulomas (gummas)
- Steiner silver stain identifies spirochetes