Testis and epididymis
Reviewer: Turki Al-Hussain, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 21 April 2013, last major update September 2012
Copyright: (c) 2002-2013, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
- Also called Swyer syndrome
- Female phenotype and female genital appearance, normal Müllerian structures
- Bilateral streak gonads, so no hormonal or reproductive potential
- 46 XY, but no testicular tissue; no evidence of Turner syndrome
- Early bilateral gonadectomy is recommended due to high incidence of gonadoblastoma and dysgerminoma (J Pediatr Urol 2011;7:72)
21 year old woman with dysgerminoma and streak gonad
End of Testis and epididymis > Intersex syndromes > Gonadal dysgenesis-pure
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com
with any questions (click here for other