Cite this page: Al-Hussain T. Hypospermatogenesis. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/testishyposperm.html. Accessed August 24th, 2019.
Definition / general
- All stages of spermatogenesis present but reduced to a varying degree
- Includes the mixed pattern with some tubules showing Sertoli cells only or hyaline sclerosis with others tubules containing complete spermatogenesis
- Mild if changes in occasional tubules; severe if significant reductions in all tubules, moderate in between
- Often is thickening of tunica propria, interstitial fibrosis, tubular sclerosis, germ cell disorganization and sloughing into lumina
- Many causes of infertility induce hypospermatogenesis, such as diabetes mellitus, toxins, excess heat, varicocele, hypothyroidism, irradiation and others
Microscopic (histologic) images