Reviewer: Shahidul Islam, M.D., Ph.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 2 April 2013, last major update March 2009
Copyright: (c) 2003-2013, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
- Non-neoplastic thyroid disorders with anti-thyroid antibodies and associated with specific HLA haplotypes
- #1 cause of hypothyroidism in iodine sufficient areas
- Includes Graves’ disease, Hashimoto’s thyroiditis and most forms of thyroiditis in this section except infectious
- Rosai differentiates based on follicular epithelium: lymphocytic thyroiditis if relatively normal follicles, Hashimoto’s thyroiditis if oncocytic change, Graves’ disease if diffusely hyperplastic follicles
End of Thyroid gland > Thyroiditis > Autoimmune thyroiditis
- May be due to disturbance in suppressor T cells
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com
with any questions (click here for other