Cite this page: Crystals. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/thyroidcrystals.html. Accessed March 28th, 2017.
Definition / General
- Colloid often contains birefringent calcium oxalate crystals, particularly in nodular goiter but also other neoplasms, in both histologic sections and fine needle aspirates (Acta Cytol 1999;43:575)
- Present in 79% of normal appearing thyroids at autopsy (Am J Clin Pathol 1987;87:443)
- Crystals appear to be associated with inactive follicles (Am J Surg Pathol 1993;17:698)
- Crystals also present after dialysis (Arch Pathol Lab Med 1979;103:58)
- Useful in differentiating thyroid tissue from parathyroid tissue (no crystals) at frozen section (Am J Surg Pathol 2002;26:813)