Table of ContentsDefinition / general | Diagnosis | Prognostic factors | Microscopic (histologic) description | Microscopic (histologic) images | Virtual slides | Cytology description | Cytology images
Cite this page: Islam S. Encapsulated follicular variant. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/thyroidencapsulatedfollicularvariant.html. Accessed March 20th, 2019.
Definition / general
- Encapsulated follicular neoplasm with features of encapsulated and follicular variant of papillary carcinoma
- Commonly sent for consultation
- Recommended to use strict criteria for diagnosis, and to classify questionable cases as well differentiated thyroid neoplasm of uncertain malignant potential (Am J Clin Pathol 2002;117:16)
Microscopic (histologic) description
- Capsular and vascular invasion may be present; if no capsular or vascular invasion present, should have widespread nuclear features of papillary carcinoma PLUS some additional features of papillary carcinoma (papillae, fibrous bands, dense eosinophilic colloid), otherwise diagnose as follicular adenoma or well differentiated thyroid neoplasm of uncertain malignant potential
Microscopic (histologic) images
Images hosted on PathOut server:
Contributed by Andrey Bychkov, M.D., Ph.D.
Images hosted on other servers:
- Ultrafast Papanicolaou stained smears makes clear nuclei more conspicuous (Cancer 2006;108:174)