Variations of normal thyroid gland
Reviewer: Shahidul Islam, M.D., Ph.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 30 March 2013, last major update March 2009
Copyright: (c) 2003-2013, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
See also parathyroid tissue,
- Adipose metaplasia (mature adipose tissue between follicles or near capsule)
- Intrathyroidal cartilage, skeletal muscle or salivary gland
- Melanosis of follicular cells in old age (pigment granules also contain colloid,
Ultrastruct Pathol 1998;22:401); see also black thyroid
- Calcification is associated with vessels in elderly, has no laminations (in contrast to psammoma bodies)
- Squamous metaplasia is rare in normal thyroid, more common in thyroid disorders
Images from AFIP:
End of Thyroid gland > General > Variations of normal thyroid gland
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com
with any questions (click here for other