Cite this page: Islam S. Variations of normal thyroid gland. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/thyroidvariations.html. Accessed May 23rd, 2019.
Definition / general
- Adipose metaplasia (mature adipose tissue between follicles or near capsule)
- Intrathyroidal cartilage, skeletal muscle or salivary gland
- Melanosis of follicular cells in old age (pigment granules also contain colloid, Ultrastruct Pathol 1998;22:401); see also Black thyroid
- Calcification is associated with vessels in elderly, has no laminations (in contrast to psammoma bodies)
- Squamous metaplasia is rare in normal thyroid, more common in thyroid disorders
- 67 year old woman with thyroid nodule with adipose metaplasia in a nodular goiter (Indian J Pathol Microbiol 2007;50:369)