Table of ContentsDefinition / general | Gross description | Microscopic (histologic) description | Microscopic (histologic) images | Cytology description | Positive stains | Molecular / cytogenetics description
Cite this page: Islam S. Warthin-like variant. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/thyroidwarthin.html. Accessed July 19th, 2019.
Definition / general
- Features of oncocytic variant of papillary carcinoma plus brisk lymphoplasmacytic infiltrate in papillary stalks
- Rare, usually women, resembles the salivary gland tumor
- Usually no nodal or distant metastases (Ear Nose Throat J 2006;85:56)
- Similar behavior to classic papillary carcinoma (Arch Pathol Lab Med 2000;124:1192)
- Tumors usually 2 cm or smaller
Microscopic (histologic) description
- Circumscribed, papillary, centrally cystic, cells have oncocytic cytoplasm, papillary nuclear features; brisk lymphoplasmacytic infiltrate in papillary stalks
Microscopic (histologic) images
Contributed by Andrey Bychkov, M.D., Ph.D.
Images hosted on other servers:
- Cellular smears with Hürthle cells in 3-dimensional groups, papillary fragments and as single cells with prominent lymphocytes and occasional plasma cells; Hürthle cells have granular eosinophilic cytoplasm, eccentric and pleomorphic nuclei and prominent nucleoli; papillary carcinoma nuclear features are present (Endocr Pathol 1998;9:317)
Molecular / cytogenetics description
- BRAF(V600E) mutation in 75% (Virchows Arch 2005;446:589)