Reviewer: Adriana Handra-Luca, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 8 February 2013, last major update October 2012
Copyright: (c) 2003-2013, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Low grade fibrohistiocytic tumor, usually children, also adults after radiation therapy for head and neck carcinoma
● Symptoms: hemoptysis, stridor, wheezing
● MFH (malignant cases) also described (Jpn J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2005;53:276, Changgeng Yi Xue Za Zhi 1993;16:271, Respirology 1999;4:271, Am Rev Respir Dis 1987;135:761)
● Infant tumor successfully treated by laser (Lung Cancer 2007;57:112)
● 3 year old child and 5 year old child (Jpn J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2002;50:495)
● 10 year old girl with dyspnea and wheezing (Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 1999;16:464)
● 15 year old girl (Am J Clin Pathol 1978;70:429)
● 17 year old girl with upper airway obstruction (Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 1990;19:295)
● Case at the level of the third tracheal ring (J Laryngol Otol 1981;95:1287)
● Complete resection; laser therapy; may recur
● Radiation or chemothrapy for malignant cases (MFH)
● Spindle cells arranged in storiform and fascicular patterns
10 year old girl with dyspnea and wheezing
● Vimentin and CD68
End of Trachea > Tumors > Fibrous histiocytoma
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at [email protected] with any questions (click here for other contact information).