Torque teno virus
Reviewer: Huy Phu Pham, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 5 November 2011, last major update October 2011
Copyright: (c) 2007-2011, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Non-enveloped human virus with a circular negative-sense ssDNA genome (FEBS J 2007;274:4719)
● Has extremely high degree of genomic variability (Arch Virol 2007;152:1961)
● Association with disease is unclear - occasionally associated with mild non A-E hepatitis (Ann Univ Mariae Curie Sklodowska [Med] 2004;59:539)
● Also associated with viral hepatitis and healthy populations (Arch Pathol Lab Med 2006;130:1680)
● May be cofactor in classic (Mediterranean) Kaposiís sarcoma (Acta Derm Venereol 2007;87:14)
● High viral loads correlate with bronchiectasis and peripheral airflow limitation in children (Pediatr Infect Dis J 2006;25:804)
● 92-97% similarity between strains in camels and humans in UAE (J Med Virol 2007;79:188)
Donor/control positive rates:
● Egypt - 48% (J Egypt Public Health Assoc 2005;80:651)
● India - 27% (World J Gastroenterol 2006;12:2432)
● Poland - 78% (Przegl Epidemiol 2006;60:581)
● Saudi Arabia - 50% (Ann Saudi Med 2006;26:444)
● Taiwan - 37% (Ren Fail 2007;29:553)
● U.S. - 10% (J Infect Dis 1999;179:1242)
End of Transfusion Medicine > Tranfusion-transmitted disease > Torque teno virus
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).