Cite this page: Pham, H.P. Trypanosoma cruzi - Chagas disease). PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/transfusionmedTrypanosomacruzi.html. Accessed January 19th, 2019.
Definition / general
- Chagas disease is confined mainly to Mexico and South America
- 50,000 - 100,000 chronic carriers in U.S., due to immigration
- Transmitted to humans through bite of reduviid bugs
- Canada to start screening in 2008 (CMAJ 2007;177:242)
- FDA licensed a screening test for antibodies to T. cruzi in blood donors in 2006; Red Cross and other blood collection centers are screening in U.S.
- Photoinactivation may be useful for red cell suspensions (Transfus Apher Sci 2007;37:23), platelets (Transfusion 2007;47:434) or plasma (Vox Sang 2006;91:285)
Donor / control positive rates:
- Transfusion from Bolivian blood donor to U.S. child (Transfusion 2007;47:540)