Cite this page: Pham, H.P. Bacterial contamination in pRBC products . PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/transfusionmedbacteriaprbc.html. Accessed February 18th, 2018.
Definition / general
- Rate of bacterial contamination in packed RBCs (pRBCs) is 2.6 in 100,000 pRBCs transfused and the rate of septic transfusion reaction is 1 in 250,000 products
- Risk of death is 1 per 8 million units
- Most bacteria is not viable at storage temperature
- Associated with high mortality rate
- Yersinia enterocolitica is responsible for 60% of reported cases of RBC associated sepsis; 70% are fatal