Toxoplasma gondii and transfusions
Reviewer: Huy Phu Pham, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 6 November 2011, last major update October 2011
Copyright: (c) 2007-2011, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Rare in US
● Tested using IgG or IgM ELISA
● Presence in blood donors associated with cats
Donor positive rates:
● Mexico - 7% (IgG by EIA, BMC Infect Dis 2007;7:75)
● Malaysia - 28% (Med J Malaysia 2002;57:304)
● Turkey - 20% for IgG by ELISA (Ethiop Med J 2006;44:257), 43% using Sabin Feldman dye test (Mikrobiyol Bul 2006;40:375)
End of Transfusion Medicine > Tranfusion-transmitted disease > Toxoplasma gondii and transfusions
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at copyrightPathOut@gmail.com with any questions (click here for other contact information).