Transfusion related immunomodulation
Reviewer: Huy Phu Pham, M.D. (see Reviewers page)
Revised: 4 November 2011, last major update September 2011
Copyright: (c) 2007-2011, PathologyOutlines.com, Inc.
● Transfusion is “liquid allogeneic transplant,” causing changes to immunologic profile of recipient (Arch Pathol Lab Med 2007;131:708)
● Termed “transfusion related immunomedulation (TRIM)
Established and proposed TRIM:
● Humoral immunity: RBC alloimmunization
● Cellular immunity:
● Decrease in renal allograft rejection (Hum Immunol 2002;63:902)
● Improvement in some autoimmune diseases, such as Crohn disease (Colon Rectum 1989;32:749)
● Decrease in repetitive spontaneous abortions
● Increase in tumor recurrence
● Increase in post-operative infections (Crit Care Med 2002;30:2249) and overall mortality (JAMA 2002;288:1499)
End of Transfusion Medicine > Tranfusion reaction > Transfusion related immunomodulation
This information is intended for physicians and related personnel, who understand that medical information is often imperfect, and must be interpreted in the context of a patient's clinical data using reasonable medical judgment. This website should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician.
All information on this website is protected by copyright of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc. Information from third parties may also be protected by copyright. Please contact us at [email protected] with any questions (click here for other contact information).