Cite this page: Williamson, S. Inflammation of ureters. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/uretersureterinflam.html. Accessed February 20th, 2018.
Definition / general
- Associated with long standing chronic inflammation, similar to processes seen in the urinary bladder
- Ureteritis cystica: fine cysts in mucosa composed of dilated von Brunn nests (lined by normal urothelium) with clear contents
- Ureteritis follicularis: fine granular mucosa due to multiple lymphoid follicles
- Ureteritis glandularis: usual type includes formation of cystic spaces similar to ureteritis cystica but with apical (glandular) orientation of the cytoplasm surrounding the lumen
- Intestinal metaplasia: (or ureteritis glandularis intestinal type) includes true mucin producing goblet cells (risk of developing carcinoma has been proposed although controversial)
- Granuloma inguinale: case report of extragenital granuloma inguinale presenting as a retroperitoneal mass resembling a soft tissue neoplasm and involving the ureter (Hum Pathol 1990;21:559)