Cite this page: Dyssynchronous endometrium. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/uterusdyssynchronous.html. Accessed February 23rd, 2017.
Definition / General
- Discordance between glands and stroma, both usually in secretory phasel
- Also defined as endometrial glandular dating lagging both chronological and stromal dating by 3+ days
- Also proliferative endometrium and secretory stroma
- Often due to dysfunctional uterine bleeding (DUB)
- DUB patients lack cyclic endometrial stimulation; instead have constant unopposed estrogen production with continuous endometrial stimulation; endometrium outgrows its blood supply, leading to tissue breakdown and sloughing
- Healing of this endometrium is irregular and dyssynchronous (eMedicine)