Cite this page: Roychowdhury, M. Lichenification. PathologyOutlines.com website. http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/vulvalichenification.html. Accessed July 19th, 2018.
Definition / general
- Changes due to scratching, including accentuation of normal lines of skin
- Associated with squamous cell hyperplasia
- Final common pathway of many itchy / scratchy diseases
- Usually becomes part of "itch scratch cycle" - patient's skin is irritated, patient scratches or picks at it, skin thickens defensively, leads to more itching / scratching; breaking this cycle is often key to resolving problem (wiseGEEK: What Is Lichenification? [Accessed 3 October 2017])
- Medications to relieve itching sensation and sedatives can help patient scratch less