Cite this page: Mansouri J. Lymphoid hyperplasia. PathologyOutlines.com website. https://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/appendixlymphoidhyperplasia.html. Accessed July 24th, 2021.
Definition / general
- Normal appendix is rich in lymphoid tissue
- Hyperplasia may be associated with acute appendicitis (uncertain if cause or effect)
- May be present at entrance to cecum
Microscopic (histologic) description
- Marked swelling and thickening of mucosa and submucosa, with virtual luminal obliteration
- Older patients also have plasma cells and eosinophils