Table of ContentsDefinition / general
Cite this page: Pernick N. Melanosis oculi-eyelid. PathologyOutlines.com website. https://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/eyeeyelidmelanosisoculi.html. Accessed September 24th, 2020.
Definition / general
- Also called ocular melanocytosis
- Rare congenital anomaly with variable hyperpigmentation of conjunctiva, episclera, sclera, uveal tract, possibly optic nerve
- May be variant of nevus of Ota
- Associated with ocular melanoma
- Sclera appears blue due to deep uveal pigmentation (see Tyndall effect)