Cite this page: Pernick N. Mucocele-lacrimal sac. PathologyOutlines.com website. https://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/eyelacrimalmucocele.html. Accessed December 10th, 2022.
Definition / general
- Complication of chronic inflammation of lacrimal sac, with distention of sac due to low grade obstructive lesion or hypersecreting mucosa
- Cyst contents may be clear, milky, gelatinous, fibrinous or flocculent
- May be sterile or infected
Microscopic (histologic) description
- Cyst wall is atrophic with degenerative changes
- Also hyperplasia and chronic inflammatory infiltrate