Table of ContentsDefinition / general
Cite this page: Pernick N. Schnabel cavernous degeneration. PathologyOutlines.com website. https://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/eyeorbitschnabel.html. Accessed October 3rd, 2023.
Definition / general
- Defined as formation of cavernous spaces in retrolaminar portion of proximal optic nerve due to focal loss of myelin and axons and accumulation of hyaluronic acid
- Present in < 0.1% of eyes at autopsy; 80% are women, mean age 88 years (range 54 - 103 years)
- Associated with severe vascular anomalies (75%), glaucoma (24%)
- Grading of cavernous degeneration: I - clearly present but < 10% of diameter of optic nerve at point of most severe involvement; II - 10 - 25%; III - 50 - 75%; IV - > 75%
- References: Arch Pathol Lab Med 2003;127:1314, Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 1990;197:162