Cite this page: Pernick N. Astrocytic tumor. PathologyOutlines.com website. https://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/eyeretinaastrocytictumor.html. Accessed December 10th, 2022.
Definition / general
- Associated with tuberous sclerosis (57%), neurofibromatosis (14%), or no syndrome (29%)
- Tuberous sclerosis patients usually have multiple, peripheral retinal tumors with giant astrocytes vs. disc based tumors in non tuberous sclerosis patients
- Usually benign and extremely rare in retina
- References: Arch Pathol Lab Med 1984;108:160
Microscopic (histologic) description
- Interlacing, spindle shaped astrocytes