Cite this page: Pernick N. Transplantation-surgical/vascular complications (pending). PathologyOutlines.com website. https://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/livertransplantcomplications.html. Accessed December 6th, 2021.
Definition / general
- Formerly called lipopeliosis
- Steatotic hepatocytes are present in donor liver
- Preservation injury causes their death with loss of fat
- Fat droplets accumulate to form fat globules that histologically mimic dilated sinusoids (week 1), then are surrounded by macrophages and cleared by 3 - 4 weeks
- Fat globules are actually outside sinusoids when collagen IV immunostaining is performed (Am J Surg Pathol 2002;26:134, J Clin Pathol 1992;45:1109)