Cite this page: Weisenberg E. Inflammatory bowel disease. PathologyOutlines.com website. https://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/lungnontumorIBD.html. Accessed September 27th, 2023.
Definition / general
- Vast majority of patients with lung disease have history of IBD in GI tract, but lung disease may occur without GI disease
- Lung involvement more common with ulcerative colitis than Crohn's disease
- Acute or chronic bronchiolitis with nonnecrotizing granulomas, bronchopneumonia, interstitial pneumonia and organizing pneumonia
- May be due to mesalamine (anti-inflammatory component of sulfasalazine, used to treat IBD)
- May have CMV or atypical mycobacteria infections