Cite this page: Weisenberg E. Obliterative bronchiolitis. PathologyOutlines.com website. https://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/lungnontumorobliterativebronch.html. Accessed September 16th, 2021.
Definition / general
- Associated with bone marrow, heart and lung transplants, rheumatoid arthritis, penicillamine or gold therapy and post viral infection, especially adenovirus
- Associated with chronic rejection in lung transplant patients, an irreversible condition with poor prognosis
Microscopic (histologic) description
- May be patchy, fibrosis in submucosa of bronchioles leading to partial or complete occlusion of small airways
- Inflammatory cell infiltrates may or may not be present
- Organizing pneumonia may be present