Cite this page: DePond WD. Age related changes-lymph nodes. PathologyOutlines.com website. https://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/lymphnodesagerelated.html. Accessed January 23rd, 2021.
Definition / general
- Germinal centers are more common in infants and children, decrease in young adults, often absent in elderly ( Am J Pathol 1975;78:7)
- Germinal centers are more common in mesenteric and cervical lymph nodes ( J Clin Pathol 1980;33:454)
- Hyaline deposits increased with age
- Peripheral lymph nodes, with little antigenic stimulation, often have replacement by fat, particularly in axillary, cubital and popliteal nodes
- Lymphocyte depletion, fibrosis and hyaline deposits are associated with chronic disease, particularly cancer