Cite this page: Gulwani H. Meningocele-cystic. PathologyOutlines.com website. https://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/mediastinummeningocele.html. Accessed December 9th, 2022.
Definition / general
- Posterior mediastinum cysts in infants or children which communicate with meninges, usually through a defect in vertebral bodies
- Contain clear / amber cerebrospinal fluid
- Usually incidental finding identified prior to surgery
Microscopic (histologic) description
- Thick fibrous wall, lined by flattened arachnoid cells
- Variable neural tissue, calcification