Cite this page: Ziadie MS. Chronic deciduitis. PathologyOutlines.com website. https://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/placentachronicdecid.html. Accessed May 15th, 2021.
Definition / general
- Abnormal infiltration of small lymphocytes and plasma cells in the decidualized endometrium
- May be associated with preterm labor
- Presence of plasma cells is a sign of stimulation, possibly by microorganisms, autoantigens or fetal alloantigens
Microscopic (histologic) description
- Infiltrate of small lymphocytes and plasma cells in the decidua
- Diffuse lymphocytic infiltrate without plasma cells is also acceptable (Hum Pathol 2000;31:292)